
which may not may not be relevant to the rest of this post.
It has been a hard few weeks since getting the news that The Other L Word is back, and it has brought with it a host of symptoms and problems and drugs. It seems like every time one thing starts to feel better, something else goes to hell. I got it all into perspective this morning when I went to the clinic. My white count, which was 44 a few weeks ago, is now 3.9 or something. My pain is better. This means less of the pain meds and less of the oral chemo which has also been doing a number on me. So things are looking up a bit.
How about Junot Diaz winning the damn Pulitzer? How fabulous. I got to read and review it before it came out...one of the high points of my year. Apparently he liked my review, too, which is great. Reviewing books is scary. I always feel like I don't know what the hell I'm talking about. Who the hell am I to say the book is good? I would never want to be a fulltime critic for this reason. I am glad though, to see this book make good, because, well, it's really a good fuckin' book.
Love to everyone.

5 comments:
I thought about you when I heard the news about Junot Diaz. I even bought a copy of his book after I saw you last October. I am embarrassed to say that I still haven't read it. But you were there before Pulitzer, Leah. Always ahead of the game.
I am really happy to hear your white count is down, but I'm sorry that you've had to work so hard to get it there. I love you and am always thinking about you. And tell JC that Windows is for suckers.
LOVE,
Jennifer
Loved the book; love your latest WBC even more.
I am so glad things are looking up for you, WBC-wise! And I am glad, but surprised, that Junot Diaz won the Pulitzer... it's rare that a non-sucky novel actually wins.
Looks like I have another book to buy. I will have tons of reading for my sabbatical. I can't wait. Any other recommendations of some great books?
I had a book I wanted to buy you (I think I told you about it) but then decided maybe I shouldn't get it. ...probably not the kind of book you want to be trudging through...
The low white count is great news, as is the reduction in meds that goes with it. As a pc user, I have JC envy. I knew he was way cooler than me. Also, so glad to hear about the Pulitzer and that you liked the Young at Heart film. Their pianist is a friend who used to play with Martin Mull, but that's a whole n'other story, as they say. I'm just happy that you are posting and not having to deal with the meds and crappy counts. We're thinking of you and sending love.
Bertha and Margaret
PS I think I finally figured out how to post!
Post a Comment